Tuesday, March 8, 2011

READING RESPONSE ESSAY


My reading response is to a book I am reading, and the book is called "Handbook for Boys" by Walter Dean Myers. This book is about the right roads to choose in life, and not to pick bad choices in life. They talk about these deep thoughts in a barber shop that Duke owns. Duke is the person who owns the barbershop and has his own community mentoring program. He also has taken two kids into his program named Jimmy and Kevin. Kevin is older than Jimmy and is a senior in High School.

Jimmy who has been given a second chance and not going to Jail for assault on another student in his school. His Mentor Duke Wilson has given Jimmy another chance by taking him into his own community mentoring program because he thinks that Jimmy could have a good life and be successful in life. Also Duke thinks that if he helps Jimmy out and take him into his community mentoring program and not got to Jail, then he wouldn't end up living in the streets and maybe not ending up in jail. But instead he would have a successful life and have a successful job with a successful wife and family. I observed that Duke is a really nice guy because hes spending money from his own pocket on these kids because he thinks they have potential to have a nice life, and not end up in the streets either dead, in rehab or in prison. I think this because Duke is helping Jimmy who has assaulted a kid in his school, but he still wont give up on him. I also thought that Duke has had a rough child hood of his own, and he now knows the right roads to choose and not to choose the wronog roads in life and he just wants to pass on what he knows to kids that he thinks are going through the same problem he went through as a child and help them.

Duke also has another kid named Kevin which he has taken him into his program and thinks he has a chance just like Jimmy does. But since Duke has taken both of them into his program, they work at his barber shop. They sweep up the hair and they clean the barbershop, so technically they're doing community service in the barber shop. Both Kevin and Jimmy have to work about 5 days a week which when they get out of school, they have to go straight to the barber shop. When they get to the barbershop, they always talk about Duke's customer's lives. They talk about what their opinion of their life is, such as if its good and bad. They also talk like how a kid talks to his guidance counselors, they talk to them when they have no one else to talk to or to go to.
I observed that Kevin and Jimmy are picking the right roads in life, because they're doing better in school and picking up their grades. I think that this is because everyday when Kevin and Jimmy spend time in the Barbershop, they learn to do the right from the wrong. Like for example, the part that I am up to in my book a guy named Lonnie G has just tried to hold up a supermarket but he doesnt get away with it, and when Duke asks what he did wrong Jimmy answers he tried to get money the easy way instead of getting the money the way everybody gets it, Working for it.

I thought that this text relates to me because sometimes I would have a mentor. The mentor that i have is my sister, and we have our own little talks once in a while about how my school work is doing and if I am having trouble with anything or if i needed help with any problems at school. Also i thought that this text relates to me because I sometimes try to take the easy way out of things like for example, if i had to do a 5 page essay and my teacher didnt tell me what kind of font size i needed i would usually change the font to size 14-16 so that i wouldnt have to write so much.
I think that the reader should feel how if they could relate to Jimmy or Kevin in any way, like how i could relate to them. Also i want my reader to know that this book was really good, and for the boys i think they should give this book a try and read it. Because if you're having a hard time figuring out the right from the wrongs, then this book is perfect for you to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment